I love rhubarb and now that it is popping up at Farmers Markets I had to get some. I planned to make some jelly but after seeing a post over at Two Peas In Their Pod, I thought I would first try out some muffins for the girls. I used this recipe as a guide but I made it a bit healthier to my liking!
All in all I really liked these but I do warn, you have to like rhubarb because the taste is so unique and if your not expecting it you might not like it! Also if you like sugary muffins feel free to add sugar instead of honey.
Apple Walnut Rhubarb Muffins
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey (add more if you want sweeter muffins, or sub 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
- 3 medium chopped apples
Preheat over to 350
1. Mix the Dry Ingredients in a bowl
2. Beat the 4 eggs, add coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla and honey. Beat until combined.
3. Slowly add in the dry ingredients
4. Fold in the walnuts, rhubarb and apples
5. Spoon into cupcake pans and cook for 12-15minutes (10 if you are doing mini muffins).